skip to Main Content

Naples To Marathon – A Hump In The Road

** Spoiler Alert ** As we sit and write this, we are safely tied in Marathon as the VHF is crackling with drama, interrupting the daily 9 am “Cruisers Net” out of Boot Key Harbor where the wind is kicking up as a storm cell is approaching.  It has been reported that a couple of boats are dragging their anchors and there is a swift, collective effort to mitigate the risks.  A great example of boaters doing whatever’s necessary to help each other out and keep each other safe.  It puts the “drama” that was to lead off this entry about our leg from Naples to Marathon keenly in perspective.  That said…

From The Captain: We had what we believed to be an excellent plan.  We pulled into Naples on the previous day with the expectation of shoving off on this day at first light.  There were a few crucial considerations… our travel day was to be around 105 nautical miles.  At our typical cruising speed of ten knots, that’s around ten and a half hours on the water.  We’d be arriving at an unfamiliar spot, something we always aim to do with as much daylight as possible.  With sunset at 5:45 pm, we’d be cutting it close with a 7:15 am departure, but based on our calculations, that was the earliest we’d be able to shove off given the negative tide at the docks creating a risk of grounding at the marina before we even get going.  We’d plan to make up time by running the boat’s speed up to 15-18 knots once an hour for around twenty minutes a pop, something we have done before in similar situations.

With the two prior travel days having gone well, we were feeling settled back into our routine and looking forward to this run.  Except for a few light showers, the weather was forecast to be excellent for cruising the Gulf Of Mexico with very light winds and calm seas.  This would be our first time running to Marathon from the Gulf side… all of our previous trips down the Gulf to the Keys have been directly into Key West where you travel some forty miles offshore.  On this leg, we would be around twenty miles off at most.  And even though Key West is around forty miles to the west of Marathon, the mileage between Naples and our Marathon destination is almost identical to the mileage between Naples and our Key West port of Stock Island Marina which surprised us during our planning.

We have written extensively about prepping for this type of a leg – readying the boat, safety considerations, and what to watch with the weather – in this blog entry which is worth a look if you’re planning a similar trip.  It’s always nice to have a buddy boat on these longer offshore hauls, so we were thrilled that The Three B’s would be out there with us on our way to our winter home.

7:02 am: all systems go and we are Sea Worthy – or so we thought (the superstitious Cap breaks out this familiar shirt for long, offshore passages).

So by just after 7 am under cloudy skies with no wind, Jasper had been walked, the generator and engines were running, all checks had been made and we were ready to back out of the basin at the Naples Sailing and Yacht Club.  Dockside depths were close to what they were on our arrival the previous day so we didn’t anticipate any issues, despite the low tide.  As is typical, Tim released the lines in our predetermined order and boarded from the stern while I stood by to take us off the dock from the port side of the foredeck using the Yacht Controller.  After Tim confirmed he was secure I applied a small amount of thrust from our bow and stern thrusters to move us around two feet off the dock so we could back straight out of the basin.  Once we were sufficiently off I bumped the engines into reverse for a quick moment to give us momentum.  And then after having backed up less than five feet, the boat just stopped moving.  I immediately let Tim know over our headsets that I believed we were in the mud and that I would attempt to bring us forward and back to the dock which I was able to do without issue.  Hmmm.

7:12 am. Shortest. Trip.  Ever. Around forty seconds.

That was unexpected.  And frustrating.  As mentioned, we had arrived with similar depths so we should, in theory, have had enough water to leave the slip.  We started recalculating our day, figuring out how we would make up the time if we delayed our departure by an hour, which we hoped would give the rising tide enough time to get us over the apparent hump that was behind us.  Frustrated, but fully recognizing that it was out of our control, we plugged the boat back in and waited it out.

7:25 am. Negative tide in Naples.  Add three feet to the depth sounder on the left for actual depth – which is a foot more than we draw (OLOH’s depth) and within our comfort margin.

When 8:15 arrived we were eager to get going and ready to try it again.  We had our contingency plan set, knowing that we may have a repeat of our earlier attempt.  So, once again, we came off the dock and began to back up.  And once again, after around five feet of reverse travel, we softly came to a stop while floating in neutral.  Only this time, when I bumped the engines into forward for a split second to give us forward momentum, “KERTHUNK!”  And the whole boat shook.  It stops your heart, even for just a second and every possible scenario runs through your head.  Did we damage a prop?  Did we rip a prop off?  Is water gushing into the engine room from a damaged shaft seal?  Are we gonna get stuck here for weeks on end if we have a problem we can’t get fixed?  It’s a mad rush of chaotic thoughts that must be jammed back into your consciousness so you can figure out what’s actually going on.

This was our third day on the water with newly aligned and tuned shafts and props and we may have just undone all of that work.  As we passed each other in the cabin at a determined pace to assess the situation, we didn’t acknowledge the sound, but the looks we exchanged said all that needed to be said.  We would not speak our fears out loud, nor would we utter the words, “that didn’t sound good” for fear of being jinxed!  Our friends on The Three B’s, who were standing on the dock across from us, heard the sound and came over to check on us.  Now, along with compressing time, we had the potential of damage that could preclude our ability to travel.  We also were well aware that after this day, the weather was set to fall apart and not be good for travel for several days.  Ah, the best-laid plans.

8:19 am.  Back at the dock again.  Frustrated but not defeated.
View off OLOH’s stern. What evil lurks five feet behind us?

We knew we would have to wait at least another hour and were now well beyond a daylight arrival in Marathon based on our original plan.  We called Amanda the Dockmaster who confirmed the tide on her gauge but also mentioned that the basin had just been dredged and thought there should be more water behind us than what we were seeing.  She volunteered to call her friend, a local police officer who works on the water, thinking that perhaps he could come by on his center console and sound the depths behind us.  Within 20 minutes, Amanda and officer Dan were pulling into the basin and circling behind OLOH to get a handle on the depths.  And there was clearly a “hump” around five feet behind us that we’d need more water to get over.  Maybe, just maybe, another hour will do it.

Law Enforcement Officer Dan kindly puttered around our boat to take depth soundings and we are immensely grateful for his time and assistance. Boaters – and officials – helping boaters.

We decided to give it another go in an hour and even if we made it out of the marina, we had a contingency plan to return to the dock in the event that we felt anything anomalous with the boat once we were able to run it through its paces on our way out to the Gulf.  We also now had to commit to running at fifteen to eighteen knots for most of the day if we wanted to arrive in daylight.  The boat is built to do that – we just choose to run at slower speeds for a variety of reasons.  And on a leg like this, one of those reasons is the countless crab pots that you have to spot and avoid.  We also didn’t feel that the boat was fully shaken down after sitting in storage for nine months.  But we were confident in the due diligence we had done and decided to go for it.

So, at 9:30, just as it began to rain, we once again started the process with the decision to stick as close to the dock as possible as we backed down, based on the findings from our friendly neighborhood police officer.  We slid a foot off the dock and I bumped it into reverse for a nanosecond.  OLOH slowly drifted backward and a few moments later we were over the hump!  Whew.  Relief – for the moment.  We still had to make sure everything was working as it should.  We easily backed the rest of the way out of the marina, spun around, and headed south through Naples Bay.  It was pretty clear that the “hump” was just a small, elevated portion of the seabed, perhaps spoils from the recent dredging.  As far as what we may have hit on our way back to the dock after our second departure attempt, that’s anybody’s guess.  Buried treasure perhaps?  We may never know.

And… we are clear. Of at least that.

Once we were clear of the no-wake zone, already having done one engine room check at idle speed, we decided to throttle up. 750 RPM, 1,000, 1,200, 1,500, 1,900… no vibrations, no leaks.  Woohoo!  While still feeling trepidatious, we were most certainly relieved.  After clearing Gordon Pass and once back on the Gulf, we pointed OLOH towards its southerly heading and set our engine speed to put us between 16.5 and 18 knots for a good part of the day.

Exiting Naples with calm seas and frayed confidence.

While we always aim to look at the big picture, the way the morning unfolded definitely set the tone for the day.  The weather was great, we were on our way to our Keys paradise with our friends just a couple of miles behind us on their boat and we should have been feeling good.  But there was pervasive anxiety and tension as we pressed on at faster-than-usual speeds with a certain amount of uncertainty looming around us.  Fortunately, OLOH ran great, the conditions remained spectacular and there were no further surprises to our day.

We don’t spend a lot of time at 17.6 knots but it’s nice to know that OLOH can do it all day long if needed or desired.
2:04 pm: A slightly more relaxed Captain.

The Three B’s to starboard. It’s good to have a buddy boat!

About five hours into the day with seventy-six nautical miles behind us, we left the deeper waters of the Gulf and dropped our speed from around eighteen knots to ten as we approached the “yacht channel” into Florida Bay as we headed towards the Seven Mile Bridge in Marathon, still around twenty nautical miles away.  These were unfamiliar waters to us and the depths dropped from the mostly twenty-plus foot depths we had been cruising into around eight to twelve feet.  And we had now crossed the threshold where, even at ten knots, we’d arrive just before the sun started to set.  So it felt good to pull the throttles back.

Jasper takes in the Seven Mile Bridge in Marathon as we enter the homestretch of our day.

After clearing the Seven Mile Bridge we were out on the Atlantic Ocean side and sped up one last time for the last few miles to our marina.  We had an easy arrival and were safely tied seven hours, forty-five minutes after departing, having traveled 105 nautical miles (121 statute miles).  It was forty minutes before sunset and we were relieved!  The arrival OLOH-Rita?  Yes, it tasted especially fantastic on this day fraught with anxiety.  And yes, maybe we had more than one.

Arrival: The moment this boat is settled, this mask is coming off and that OLOH-Rita is going down!


Departure two hours later than we had hoped but an on-time arrival. It just takes fuel. Before our delayed departure, we anticipated burning around 175 gallons of diesel for this leg.  With our higher-than-normal rate of speed, we burned 275. Time underway: 7 hours 50 minutes.

So – as we like to say in our family – we are here!  And even though we’ve only run the boat for a few days, we arrived ready to settle into the warmth of the Florida Keys and our winter adventures!  See you out there…


Please be sure to subscribe to our blog on the top right of this page to be notified when new content is posted.  For real-time updates and the very latest on what we’re up to, be sure to like us & follow us on the M/Y OLOH Facebook Page. You can also follow us on Twitter and for plenty more pictures and videos, find us on Instagram and YouTube.

And that concludes your OLOH instructions. M/Y OLOH back to 1-6


This Post Has 18 Comments

  1. Hi Team OLOH, So thrilled that your trip to Marathon was smooth (in several ways) proving that where there is a will (and knowledge) there is a way. We will definitely file this episode in our heads as we look forward to repeating this leg of your adventure. On another note, did OLOH have black dry cell foam in her flybridge cushions? OLOH and laVITA have the same cushion fabric and I have had to replace the foam as was deteriorating and leaving black foam bits on our flybridge. We definitely want to replace our helm seat so keep your ears open for a used white Stidd helm chair for us. We arrived home yesterday after spending a week (our second) on laVITA (Brunswick Landing Marina). We go with a list of "chores" and are making great progress! So glad that you are living la vita! Cheers, Ann
    1. Hey Ann - Thanks for your note - and it is indeed a great leg to take on. Our cushions are not the same foam you describe, although they may have been changed out by the PO. New cushions and fabric have been on our wishlist since acquiring OLOH but it's just one of those things we haven't tackled yet. So glad you've been able to enjoy some time on laVITA - we look forward to our eventual rendezvous! Cheers to you & your crew!
  2. As I read this entry in your blog, I actually got that "pit in the stomach" feeling when hearing (or seeing) your boat hit bottom -- or whatever! Obviously, you handled it well and continued with safe passage, but like you, I would have been suspicious of any and every little sound, creak or bump while making the crossing to the Keys. All that said -- welcome "home"!
    1. Thanks Pete. Yeah, you know that feeling. We're obviously so relieved that it all worked out and we got a good handle on the new level of smoothness we're experiencing after having the work done. We didn't detect anything different from that new baseline. Thanks for the welcome... it is SO good to be back!
  3. So glad you are in Marathon safely. I noticed I was holding my breath while reading your blog and can't imagine the anxiety you both were feeling. Safe travels.
    1. Hey Kathy - thanks for your note and sorry for inducing the anxiety we induced! Hopefully you felt the relief as well. Cheers!
  4. Great write up. After reading your last years post of ft Myers to Key west, this past feb I made the key west to Naples run without incident, and also encountered skinny water in Naples Bay. I have also spent time in Marathon at Faro Blanco- looks like you are somewhere else. Good to know the jump from Marathon to Naples can cut a day off getting from Fll to Naples... and I have also take the Okochobee route. I usually run hull speed, but am more comfortable running Karma @ 1&- 20kts on open water crossings - 100 gals more fuel is my trade for cutting anxiety hours of open water and more daylight on arrival. Are you wintering in Marathon or heading back to Key West. Looking forward to someday meet up to compare contrast KaramRitas to OLOHRitas!
    1. Thanks Cap'n John. Great to know you had a smooth run from Key West back in February. This trip was definitely a reminder that we shouldn't be shy about running our speed up and burning fuel to save time when it's prudent. Our last boat did 26 knots all day and that was our primary cruising speed, but we didn't have the kind of free time we now get to enjoy. We are wintering in Marathon for a change of pace and to keep clear of crowds and we're loving it. The tender is getting a LOT of use - but more on that soon. We too look forward to the Rita-fest when we meet up someday. Until then, Cheers!
  5. Nothing can churn the pit of your stomach as much as that noise of the props becoming a blender blade - seems like mud was the main ingredient of your milkshake and not sand or rock. Since the blog is time late, I'm sure you've already had the prop/shaft/cutlass bearings peaked at by a diver, so no need to recommend it for you, but something for others to think about if they have a similar experience (we churned sand once and bend both props as I was slow to get into neutral when that 'sound' occurred). Like you, we're fans of running in the 8-10kt range (best fuel economy for us, and slow enough for most of the Northern/Central stretch of FL's portion of the AICW). We'll crank it to 18kts for 15 minutes or so each day to keep the diesels happy - the 'stretch' is picked well in advance to ensure navigational compatibility.
    1. Ah yes - all boaters know that pit churning you speak of. Fortunately we were in neutral each time and all is well - a particularly good thing after having just done so much work on all aspects of our running gear . A good reminder to always expect the unexpected! Our enjoyment of the ten knot cruise really surprised us coming from a 26 knot boat, but when you've got the time, it really is an enjoyable way to travel. And stuff happens/comes up on you much more slooowwwlllyyy. Cheers!
  6. It is easy to spend OPM but your fuel burn seems mighty reasonable.That is a lot of hustle. Enjoy your stay. It is cold up here even in NC . Regards, Edward
  7. Tim & AJ! I wanted to let you know that my email has changed to the one I just filled in. I departed from Firelands Winery and am taking a break before starting something less Administrative. I love your blogs and photos!! So happy you made it safely from Naples! Cheers! From Sandusky. 🥂😘
  8. Heart in stomach start, but sounds like all did go well and OLOH preformed well at a higher then normal cruise speed for you. Fuel burn was still VERY good!! Peace and Love Nutz
  9. I really enjoyed your video and blog! Can you tell me what marina you were staying at in Marathon? My wife and I are cruising the Keys now in our Endeavor Trawler Cat. Thanks, Scott and Mary aboard MV Salt Wife

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top
%d bloggers like this: